Hooray for nearing the end of the year and having more opportunities to get creative.
I met my brand new group of Year 2s this afternoon who will make up 3B next year. We only had an hour with each other and half of that was going on a tour with their Year 6 buddies. I found this delightful super hero craft to make which I purchased for under £3. I also found a great super hero 'about me' here (although I did have to change 'color' to 'colour')
Some members of the current 3B were very helpful throughout the day and assisted me in chopping up the hair, faces, masks and capes. Of course, they couldn't keep themselves from getting involved and making their own super heroes! The instructions were very easy to follow and it's a lovely craft that I can use for a few years so I didn't mind the small cost. Here are the current 3B helpers with their efforts:
Next, here is a small selection of the efforts from the Year 2 boys. They worked so beautifully and were incredibly enthusiastic. Hopefully this is a positive sign for next year!
They quickly filled in their sheets with some of their favourite things. You'll notice the frame in the middle of the paper. We took a picture of each child in a super hero pose. These will be printed and stuck in ready to make a wonderful display in September.
A lovely end to the year.
Rokeby, it's been a blast! The year has gone so quickly. A huge thanks must go to my 3B gang of hard workers and happy gigglers. Thank you also to the parents who have been so supportive and kind. I've been blown away by the generosity shown and by the commitment to their boys.
I'm off to Cambodia, Vietnam and Australia over most of the holidays. Enjoy the break, I know I will! Maybe I can pick up some good art activities! I will be back in September with the return of the art club. See you there :)
Friday, 1 July 2016
We've had quite a few slots of free time this week to allow the boys to recover from a gruelling rehearsal schedule. They've worked SO hard on their play and delivered two wonderful performances on Friday.
I noticed that in some of this 'free time', a lot of the boys enjoyed making paper crafts and shapes. Therefore, I gave the class the choice to take part in a paper cube project that I had come across (of course!) on Pinterest. You can find this post with more detailed instructions here.
Strips of card that are the same length and preferably the same width
I gave each table lots of the strips that I had previously chopped up. With each strip used for the frame, the boy had to fold them in half vertically. They built up the frame one strip at a time as seen here:
After the frame was built, they wanted to go even further with their construction and decided to continue layering the strips all the way around the structure. This would make it stronger and of course, even more importantly, make it look better! There were plenty of frustrated huffs and puffs but eventually I think the majority were happy with their result. A few didn't quite manage to finish but the good thing about this is how easy it is to continue and how few resources are needed.
Great job, everyone!